Navigation

My Summer Reading List

I am a total nerd for a good book. Now that I'm home with the girls, I've found myself justifying late night reading benders rationalized by not having to get up for work even though I get up pretty much as early as I used to during the school year. I've found some great reads this summer and thought I'd put together a little list to share:

Anything Lisa Genova, especially recommended reads if you are a physical, occupational or speech therapist, special educator or parent/caregiver of someone with a disability. Great writing by an exceptionally smart author. 

And for anyone who hasn't yet discovered Gillian Flynn- BUY HER BOOKS NOW! All three were amazing- the kind of books that you are a little sad to finish because you'll never be able to read them again for the first time!
Brain on Fire is the first-person account of Susannah Calahan's descent into madness as she navigates through a mysterious, fast-striking psychosis. Terrifying and engaging. Read it!
Defending Jacob is reminiscent of Scott Turow's work- a legal drama about an assistant district attorney whose own son is accused of murder. A great, quick read that will keep you guessing.

 11/22/63 is historical fiction at its absolute best. I think I read this book in two days. That's no small feat with a full-time (at the time) job and two kids under six! This isn't your typical Stephen King...give it a try!
 Greg Iles has written some incredible books over the years. His writing reminds me of John Grisham's, but I'm somehow always more invested in Iles' characters. Natchez Burning continues the story of Penn Cage, mayor of a small Louisiana town embroiled in decades-old racial tension. Flashing between present day and 1950s Louisiana, this story is part historical fiction and part legal thriller set against the backdrop of the deep south. I love, love, love everything Iles writes and am anxiously awaiting the next Penn Cage book that's being released next Spring.
 Oh, The Paris Wife. This is the fictionalized account of the marriage of Hadley Richardson and Ernest Hemingway. I honestly can't say I've met a single person that didn't love this book as much as I did. Beautifully written, it perfectly explores the intricacies of Hemingway's first marriage while painting a detailed portrait of the life of the literary set (think Pound, Stein) in Paris in the 1920s. Thanks to my SIL for the recommendation!
 As a native Chicagoan, this nonfiction account of serial killer H.H. Holmes set against the backdrop of the 1893 Chicago World's Fair was a must-read. I found myself Googling like crazy to learn more about the main players behind the exhibition and the insanity that occurred as Holmes abducted and murdered at least 27 (possibly closer to 200) in his "murder castle".   
 If you've ever seen the movie Relic, you're somewhat familiar with Preston & Child. The series that White Fire continues follows Dr. Aloysius Pendergast, a New Orleans FBI agent with a mysterious and somewhat supernatural past. Any description of this series would probably do it an injustice- try starting with the first book, Relic. Love these!
 Have you read any of these? What have you enjoyed reading this year? 


2 comments:

  1. Sounds like we're on the same reading track :) I've read all of Gillian Flynn's books, 11-22-63, The Devil in the White City (tons on that topic), and Relic -- didn't know that was a movie! I've also enjoyed The Obituary Writer, The Woman Upstairs, Wave (first hand account of the 2004 Thai tsunami), Dr. Sleep, Joyland, The Wolf of Wall Street (after the movie) and much Karin Slaughter. I've also read nonfiction accounts of European history (1100-1600), and ready to start Mr. Mecedes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the recommendations! I loved Dr. Sleep too am looking forward to Mr. Mercedes :)

    ReplyDelete