Navigation

Thai Pickled Cucumber Salad


I am a sucker for a cucumber salad. I'm going to go ahead and say it's pretty obvious, since I've already blogged one and am getting ready to blog another only a few weeks later! Well, get ready, because this is my FAVORITE. I will pretty much plan entire meals around this salad and will even eat it alone as a meal. 
I've been hearing from my a lot of my girlfriends that their gardens are overrun with cukes, so I thought I'd share this yummy and super-easy dish today. This dish has just a few ingredients and gets tastier as you leave it in the fridge. Even if you're not a big fan of cucumbers, if you like Asian and pickles, give this one a try!

*adapted from A Taste of Thai*


What you need:
1/2 tablespoon Sambal Oelek (chili garlic sauce)
1/2 cup rice vinegar (unseasoned)
1 teaspoon Kosher salt
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup water
1/4 cup red/yellow/orange peppers, chopped
1/4 cup sliced white onion
2 tablespoons of minced cilantro
2 English cucumbers (the long ones in the Saran Wrap), halved then thinly sliced 

 How to assemble:
Combine garlic chili sauce, rice vinegar, salt, sugar and water in a microwave-safe bowl (I'm usually lazy and just use my measuring cup!). Heat for 2-3 minutes until sugar is completely dissolved. Give it a good stir to make sure everything is combined (don't skip this step- you might end up with sugar that hasn't completely dissolved). Mix peppers, onions, cucumbers and cilantro in a bowl then pour the heated mixture to cover the vegetables as much as you can. Cover the bowl and refrigerate at least one hour before serving. 
Print Friendly and PDF
 Y-U-M...so perfect for a hot summer night!

What's your favorite way to use summer cukes?

No comments:

Post a Comment