Navigation

The Lazy Girl's Guide to Sushi...Spicy California Bowl

Sushi is probably one of my favorite meals in the world. 
I typically don't mess around with sushi-grade fish at home (mostly because I'm the only one who eats it!), so I am usually making spicy California rolls when a sushi craving hits.
And sometimes usually I am very lazy and ravenous and can't be bothered to actually roll the sushi.
Hence the Spicy California Bowl.
Spicy, crunchy, creamy... all of the fantastic flavors of a roll with far less effort.
Oh, and I usually eat this with my favorite cucumber salad (which is where all of my cucumbers went, leaving none for my sushi bowl, ha!).
You will need: 

1/2 cup cooked brown rice drizzled with Sushi seasoning
diced peppers, avocado and cucumber
Low-sodium soy sauce, pickled ginger and wasabi to garnish

I start by chopping my veggies and two sticks of crab meat.
I use 2-3 tablespoons of mayo and a good half tablespoon of Sriracha (you can easily adjust the spice level by adding more or less) to the crab and mix it gently.
When I cook my brown rice, I turn off the burner at the end and drizzle with a little sushi seasoning. 
Then I put the lid back on the pot and let it sit for about ten minutes.
Yum.
 I assemble my bowl with the rice on the bottom followed by the crab mixture then the veggies.
I use a little bit of soy sauce and chopped pickled ginger on top. 
Sometimes I get a little crazy and mix the soy with the wasabi in a little bowl first before adding it to the crab, rice and veggies.
 I didn't do it here, but you can definitely chop up a bit of seaweed paper for the top. 
You're done and ready to eat!
When you're in the mood to roll your own sushi, check out this post from my old food blog, The Happiest Belly on how to make California Rolls
It gives you step-by-step instructions on how to make restaurant-perfect rolls! If you're in the market for a rolling mat, you can find one here:
In the meantime you can satisfy your cravings with this easy and pretty little meal!
Hope your week is off to a good start! 
We're on Spring Break here and enjoying every minute!



No comments:

Post a Comment